Why I Love Israel and the Jewish People



     When people ask me why I love Israel and the Jewish people, it is my heart that responds first before my mind expresses my answer. To put it directly, I have so many reasons why I love these blessed people. I could tell plentiful tales about my experiences traveling to the tiny nation, or I could exemplify and expound on the timeless accounts of their historical significance. For now, I will simply stay with the basics to illuminate just how precious these people are to me.

     When I did travel to Israel for the first time in 2012, I really had no idea what to expect. Being raised in a home of Jesus followers and a Zionist environment really instilled in me a deep, reverent attitude towards Israel and the connections that believers and Jews share. Even though I am extremely grateful for this incredible opportunity, I still had oodles to learn from experiencing the Israeli people, and the diversity of Jewish people in the Diaspora. The lessons I learned, such as issues pertaining to Replacement Theology, the Palestinian – Israeli conflict, the Westernized view of the Holy Land, and the ‘Christianized’ perspective of Judaism, intensely impacted my thinking. These imperative concepts were completely fresh to me. Gaining more knowledge about these facts only kept tugging on my heart.

     As soon as I came home from visiting Israel, my whole life was changed. I no longer was a distant, or vague political supporter of Israel – I was profoundly in love with the land and especially its inhabitants. There have been people, back at home, who could not comprehend loving (never mind supporting) Israel. I too have wondered how it is possible to love a foreign country so much that I consider it home and long to go back all the time.

     I decided to travel to Israel again in the summer of 2014, doing the same trip as before. These trips were both with ORIGINS, a group of college age young adults. It means, “Our Resolve is Giving Israel Never-ending Support”. These trips were both one month long and included two weeks of volunteering at Kaplan Medical Center with two weeks of touring the whole country.    During this trip of volunteering at the hospital, serving the Kehilah, and building closer relationships with my friends there, I was tremendously assured that I was in the right place. It didn’t take that much time to realize that I had a calling to serve the Jewish people. Words do not explain the privilege it is to know and to serve the Jewish people. After traveling to Israel twice, it is my hope and prayer to serve the Jewish people in any way possible and to reach out to other people so they too will also know the meaning of the Jewish heritage.

     When someone asks me why I love Israel and the Jewish people, my heart replies with a plain answer- peace and grace. Yes, there are a vast amount of answers I could give. I would love to take time, amidst the laughter and tears, to relate stories of how Jewish and Israeli people are incredibly courageous, kind, loyal, intelligent, and friendly. Similarly, one of my favorite topics is recounting all those silly moments when the Hebrew-English barrier has created awkward situations. I love to learn about ancient, Middle Eastern history and Hebrew Bible antiquities.

     I have chosen to major in Judaic Studies for many reasons, but the main reason why I am seeking an education in Jewish studies is simply because I love the Jewish people. I originally started out, in 2012, majoring in Special Education. Now, I know that going from an education major, to a humanities major is quite a change; however, I believe I am wholeheartedly pursing the only major that has my total interest.

     People ask me all the time, “Why do you love Israel?” or “Why do you want to major in Judaic Studies?” and “Why do you, a non-Jew, love the Jewish people?” I hear these questions continually. Most of the time, I simply tell people how I love the Jews. The next question is, “Why?” When I think about it, I cannot give a straight, sappy answer. To explain the love in my heart for these people requires a deep, thorough answer.

     When I first travel to Israel, in 2012, my life was changed. Forever. I cannot put into words the experiences I had during this trip. This trip was not a tourist vacation; this was an experience that allowed me to build strong connections with so many Israelis. Through volunteering that summer at Kaplan Medical Center, and then once again this past summer, my love for Israel and the Jewish people intensified. I was able to see how these people lived, hurt, celebrated, believed, accepted, and tolerated. Even though my faith has also influenced my desire to serve Israel, I believe that experiencing Israel has significantly deepened my love for the Jewish people.

     While seeking other ways to serve the Jewish people, such as volunteering at Heska Amuna, learning the Hebrew language, attending local synagogues, and hosting a T-shirt fund raiser, I happened to find out about majoring in Judaic Studies. I immediately changed my major the same day I learned about it. I have many plans and goals for this major, and future expectations. I plan on volunteering at local establishments, synagogues, and Jewish organizations. Ultimately, I am willing to assist in any work that promotes, supports, and benefits the Nation of Israel, and the Jewish people.

 

    







































Comments

Popular posts from this blog